Sometimes you need to move a vehicle from one place to another and can’t drive it for some reason. You might want to have a car shipping company move it for you. This can get your car safely to the place it needs to be.
There are many companies that you could call to ship your car. You might want the cheapest car shipping but you should also choose the best. Sometimes you get lucky, and the company is both cheap and the best.
This article will tell you some of the important things that you should know about shipping your car. It will give you some ideas about keeping your vehicle safe. You can also do more research and find out more information.
Car Shipping Tips
1. Research – The first thing that you need to do is research carefully. There are many companies out there and you want to find the best one for your needs. Read reviews and take the advice of friends and families to find the one you need.
2. Understand Shipping Types and Costs – Do you want an open carrier or an enclosed carrier to ship your vehicle? Open carriers are less expensive, but enclosed carriers will protect your car better: https://www.move.org/open-vs-enclosed-car-shipping/. You also need to understand all the costs that come along including pick-up fees, delivery fees, taxes, oversize vehicle charges, and fuel expenses.
3. Collect Documentation – Make sure that you have all the important documents that you might need. These include your insurance information, driver’s license, proof of ownership, and contact information for you and the receiver. This information is important for you and the shipper.
4. Protect Your Car and Take Pictures – Clean your vehicleinside and out and take pictures of what you have done. Remove any personal items that may be in it so that they don’t get lost. Check your tire pressure, fluid levels, and make sure that your alarm is disarmed.
5. Find the Right Container – There are different types of containers for your vehicle. There are open carriers that can carry up to six vehicles and there are closed containers that will hold just your vehicle. There are also oversized carriers for those vehicles that don’t fit on standard carriers.
6. Paperwork You Should Know – The most important paperwork that you need to know about is the Bill of Lading, which is the paper that is a contract between you and the company that says they will take your vehicle to the destination safely. You also need to have paperwork that shows where the vehicle will be picked up and dropped off, as well as contact information for both parties. Make sure all the paperwork is in order before you sign any of the paperwork.
7. Pick-up and Delivery – Once you have had your vehiclepicked up, you will probably get regular updates on where the carrier is at and how long it will take to get it to the destination. Delivery could take a while depending on where the destination is. If the carrier must go through international roads, it will take even longer.
8. Insurance Coverage – Check to make sure that the carrier has the insurance that they need to be able to ship your vehicle. This is for things that happen that are beyond their control such as accidents. The carrier should allow you to look at the insurance information before they leave.
9. Document Checklist – When your car gets to the destination, you want to make sure that you still have all your documentation in order. Look here to see what documentation that you might need. You want to make sure everything matches the information that you had before the company left. You will need your Bill of Lading, vehicle condition report, insurance information, the invoice, and the estimate.
10. Make Sure that Payment is Complete – Once you make sure that the vehicle is in the same shape that it started in, you need to make sure that payment is made in full. Make sure that you make the payment that you agreed upon to avoid issues later. Don’t forget to contact your own insurance company to make sure that your car is insured when you drive it away.
There are many steps that you need to take so that you can have your vehicle shipped. You want to make sure that you have all the documentation in order so that you know that the car will be delivered safely to the right place. Make sure that the insurance is taken care of just in case something happens during the trip.
Once the car arrives at its destination, make sure that you sign all the necessary documentation that needs to be signed. Make sure that your vehicle is in the same condition that it left your possession. Finally, make sure that you pay the company what you agreed to pay them.